DEC DS10L Fix CPUFan!

Jon Elson elson at pico-systems.com
Sun Oct 30 20:28:28 CDT 2016

On 10/28/2016 03:33 PM, Daniel Olsson wrote:
> Hey Jon!
>
> Thank you for the tips, i will see if i can open it up in
> someway, the fan is kinda like a laptop blower style, but
> a bigger version of it :) I think i will need to buy new
> bearings for it when i have read on google about the fan.

Anyway, I was thinking about the little 4" boxer fans, which
a DS10L may not have.  A number of mid-size and larger Vax
and Alpha systems had blowers made by EBM-Papst.  It might
be harder to get these opened, they were not meant to be
repairable.  The bearings are almost certainly ball bearing,
so if you can get it apart without breaking the impeller,
you should be able to press the bearings off the shaft and
new ones on.
It is probably not a job to be done with the simplest of
hand tools, however.

I've used a few of these blowers in some of my projects, but
never had them get noisy.

Jon