Getting out of the hobby

Todd Goodman tacoman656 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 11:58:12 CDT 2016

* Jason Howe <jason at smbfc.net> [161014 10:15]:
[..SNIP..]
> Okay, I'll bite.   I'm in my mid-30's.  I've always loved older gear of
> all types: A/V, computers, photographic, automotive, you name it.
>
> For me, its the thrill of running something discarded or obsolete,
> learning all I can about it, fixing it and then doing something useful
> with it.
>
> I'm currently writing this on an ATARI 800, booted to a "VT100" terminal
> program off a 5 1/4 disk drive, talking through an original serial
> interface box, direct to OPA0 on my VMS box.  The only modern piece of
> hardware between me and the world right now is the internet connection.
>
> I don't spend much on the pieces I aquire, but I tend to stay pretty
> focused.  Similarly, I don't sell the stuff I pass on for very much
> either.  I try to keep it in the community -- when I cut my pile in half
> a couple years ago, I probably could have doubled or tripled my money
> had I sold on ebay rather than to local club members.
>
> All that having been said, I really really want to aquire a PDP-11 and
> build an S100 machine and find a real VT100.  Given the price of these
> things in the world right now...  And here is where I agree with the OP,
> it sucks, competing between the scrappers and the heavy duty collectors
> is just something this guy can't do.
>
> Anyway, not sure this actually contributes to the conversation, but I
> felt compelled to chime in at some point.
>
> Best,
>
> --
> Jason
>
> Sent from my DEC 3000 running VMS 8.4

Hi Jason,

You might want to indicate where you are geographically as someone near
you might have a PDP-11?

As for building an S-100 system.  Check out the s100computers Google
group for newly designed S-100 boards available pretty much at cost as
long as you're up to sourcing parts and doing all the soldering
yourself.  Feel free to contact me via private email if you're
interested and I can point you to the group (and I have many of the
boards available as well.)

Todd