Getting out of the hobby

drlegendre . drlegendre at gmail.com
Sat Oct 15 00:06:21 CDT 2016

> There are still plenty of enthusiastic, younger folks who are most
>> definitely into running the "genuine old hardware" - it's just that
>>
> this

> list hasn't traditionally offered much of a draw for these users. As
>>
> noted,

> the list was formed by and for users of the classic-era 'big iron'
>>
> gear,

> many of whom have simply succumbed to attrition in one form or another.

Actually, it wasn't. I have been a member almost from day 1, and my first
> question to the list founder (I think it was Selam) was 'Are

minicomputers

> welcome on the list, or is it micros only?'

If my previous observations on the genesis of the list don't match reality,
I'm perfectly willing to be corrected - in fact, I like what I've been
hearing about the origins of the list. That said, the vast majority of list
traffic seems to focus on minicomputers "and up" (or, and back as it were),
and I assumed that it's always been this way.

As another member recently noted, much of what tumbles past me on this list
is totally outside of my 'classic computer' world. Though, again, I'd have
no trouble whatsoever geeking out - and fully - over some mini hardware, if
that's the sort of thing I could possibly have room for in my home or my
life.

This said, it's clear to see that most of the list traffic is well outside
of the 8-bit / 16-bit micro era. And if the list is to survive over the
long-term, then more of the micro kids like myself need to be brought
deeper into the fold. Don't you think?