Highway interface [warning contains an ebay ref], but is an old VMS network interface

Adrian Graham binarydinosaurs at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 07:51:38 CDT 2016

I used to service a VAX 4000-200 that had one of those in, monitoring
17,000 endpoints in an oil refinery and crunching the numbers for a daily
report to the site manager. If you don't have the peerway at the other end
and the custom software it won't do anything.

That machine's probably still in its home behind the panels in the control
room. I had to head over there every january to do a PM on it even after
the chap who ran it left and they didn't replace him. One year I 'serviced'
it (not much to do, it was clean and dust free) then went back the next
year to find the Dead Sergeant prompt (>>>). Booting it back up I
discovered it had crashed 3 days after my previous visit and nobody noticed.

Not much point in going back after that!

--
adrian/witchy
Owner of Binary Dinosaurs, the UK's biggest home computer collection?