Gaming on old systems (was Re: Twiggys [was: Re: ka... ching!])

Zane Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Tue Oct 11 22:37:33 CDT 2016

> On Oct 10, 2016, at 1:56 PM, Ethan Dicks <ethan.dicks at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Sun, Oct 9, 2016 at 4:58 AM, Peter Corlett <abuse at cabal.org.uk> wrote:
>> Find better games :)
>>
>> The theme of this list means that I should recommend some retro games and
>> gaming systems...
>
> I am actively seeking lists of favorite games on all platforms prior
> to 1995.  Specifically, things that require Windows and a Pentium and
> newer are out of bounds.  I'm attempting to breathe some excitement

This is my main area of interest these days, when it comes to vintage hardware, though I’m focused on 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Gen video game systems, especially 2nd and 4th.  Oddly enough, I’m not messing with the computers, still, here are some ideas.

VIC-20:
Miner 2049er
River Raid
Omega Race
Gorf
Scramble

Commodore 64:
Omega Race

Amiga:
Tons of good games

PC:
Balance of Power
Zork
Wasteland
MS Flight Simulator
F16
X-Wing/TIE Fighter
Master of Orion - I’m a massive fan of the original game
Warlords
Warlords II
Comanche
D&D Gold Box games
Eye of the Beholder

68k Mac:
Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
Master of Orion (higher res than PC)
Warlords II (higher res than PC)

VAX/VMS:
DnD (reason enough for me to keep a VAX around)

PDP-11:
Pac-Man (cool to see on a VT)

Zane