Gaming on old systems (was Re: Twiggys [was: Re: ka... ching!])

Alan Perry aperry at snowmoose.com
Tue Oct 11 12:41:50 CDT 2016

> On Oct 11, 2016, at 09:24, Josh Dersch <derschjo at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 10/11/16 9:06 AM, Charles Anthony wrote:

>>> Last comment from me...
>>>
>>> I played SGI Doom the other day for the first time.  There are always new
>>> discoveries, I did not even know this port existed.
>>>
>> As I understand it, the SGIs were the development platform for DOOM, and
>> the PC version is the 'port'.
> That's incorrect -- DOOM was developed on NeXT hardware.

Yep. In '93 (IIRC), I bought the last of the new NeXT magneto-optical cartridge that Canon had and was selling them via Usenet. One of the buyers was some guy named John Carmack from some company called Id Software. He paid by check and, trying to decide whether to wait for the check to clear, I asked some co-workers also from Dallas if they had heard of him or the company (they hadn't).

As far as Doom, not long after I became a Sun employee in Mountain View in '94-95, we played Doom Arena, a networked, multiplayer version of Doom. It saturated the network, so could only be played after business hours. It ran on SPARCstations under Solaris.

alan