SCSI Tape Emulator

Charles Anthony charles.unix.pro at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 10:24:32 CDT 2016

On Mon, Oct 10, 2016 at 4:51 AM, Dave Wade <dave.g4ugm at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Would it not be a SMOP to get a SCSI2SD device to emulate a tape drive?
>
> I am not sure, it looks there is some code in there for tape but its very
> minimal.
> In addition there are no interfaces on the card to select the ".tap" file
> to be used.

Not needed; copy the .tap file directly to the SD card, no partition
tables, no file system:

  dd if=foo.tap of=/dev/sdx

Fix up the firmwre (a SMOP) with a pointer to where you are in the .tap
data; it starts at block 0, offset 0 at the location would be the first
block size word of the .tap data. Treat the disk as a file; read reads the
data at the pointer and moves the pointer to the end of the read. Assuming
LBA, the pointer value maps directly to block number/offset.

Fill out the SCSI tape commands to use the pointer and the data.

-- Charles