Twiggys [was: Re: ka... ching!]

ethan at 757.org ethan at 757.org
Sun Oct 9 10:46:13 CDT 2016

>>>  Just like the car collecting, comic book collection and just about
>>> most other hobbies when they mature.  The same type of people who

The comic book market crashed due to the flipping side of it as far as I
know. When it changes from a hobby to a speculative mania, I suppose that
is when things eventually explode?

They can go on a lot longer if backed by the government and low interest
rates, see speculation in housing. Plus weak returns in other markets.

Unlike basic needs like the housing market bubble (which has yet to crash,
but probably will which isn't a bad thing) hobbies like Classic Computers
probably have interest waves. Certain people who grew up with such and
such hold it dear. Eventually interest in it will probably fade as the
people with memories of the subject fufill reliving the experience, or
die. And there is a lot of money to be made, then vendors might swoop in
to make cash (see Roland and Yamaha with their recent Botique recreations
of vintage analog synthesizers.)

Also for much of the younger generation housing costs are so high (and
perhaps job opportunities weak) that collecting things becomes more of a
burden. It costs a lot of time to move stuff from apartment to apartment,
and money to store it. Buying a house with low prospects of job stability
is also a risk and can damage chances of relocating for jobs after
layoffs. The damage of the years of offshoring and outsourcing is hidden
behind the national debt, student loan debt and housing debt.

Also there is some sort of American obsession with flipping stuff. A lot
less shows about building new things versus shows about flipping stuff (be
it Pawn shops, Storage Units, American Pickers type stuff, and of course
-- housing flip shows.)