Data on a Platter!

Jon Elson elson at pico-systems.com
Fri Oct 7 10:57:34 CDT 2016

On 10/07/2016 01:01 AM, Glen Slick wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 6, 2016 at 10:32 PM, Jason T <silent700 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Here's a scan - and special bonus audio tracks - of a brochure and 7"
>> record I found on ebay recently:
>>
>> http://chiclassiccomp.org/docs/index.php?dir=%2Fcomputing/EG%26G
>>
>> "Data on a Platter" from a company called EG&G (anyone heard of them?)
>> describes their vinyl (as in analog audio record) data storage scheme
>> and how it will fit into your business.
> Groovy.
>
> "EG&G (anyone heard of them?)"
>
> The 'E' in "EG&G" is for Harold Eugene "Doc" Edgerton, who is famous
> for his pioneering work in strobe photography. He was quite a legend
> as a professor at MIT.

Yup, I got a tour of MIT, and at one point the guide left me
and my parents in a room.  The walls were lined with
glass-front cabinets, filled with hunting rifles.  I was
baffled for a bit, and then realized "WOW, this is Harold
Edgerton's lab!!!"

EG&G is Edgerton, Germeshausen and Grier, Inc.  I don't know
much about the other two guys.

Jon