Other SMS300/8X300/8X305 uses?

jos jos.dreesen at greenmail.ch
Sun Nov 27 02:48:36 CST 2016

On 27.11.2016 08:10, Tony Duell wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 27, 2016 at 4:39 AM, Eric Smith <spacewar at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Now that I have an 8X300 (etc.) disassembler, which I've used to
>> disassemble the Western Digital WD1000 and WD1001 firmware, and the Zendex
>> ZX-203 firmware, I've become curious as to what other products used the
>> SMS300/8X300/8X305.  Does anyone know of any?
>>
> It will take me some time to check, but I seem to remember an ISA card,
> not a disk controller, with one on. Possibly a 3720-type interface (I
> think there
> was a single BNC socket on the bracket, and it's not ethernet).
>
> There's an 8X300 on the hard disk controller (Philips X1215 drive) for the
> Philips P854 computer. But I suspect that is too obscure even for this
> list.

  Why too obscure ?

The Philips P851 mini also uses a 8X300 / 8X330 combo for floppy &  HD controller.
Picture of this controller and dumps of proms are on :

ftp://ftp.dreesen.ch/WD1001

If there is a chance to have a good pic of the P851 frontpanel I would appriciate it !

Too bad the 851 CPU uses ASIC for datapaths & control logic, so I cannot get this system up and running since it misses the control one.

Jos