Other SMS300/8X300/8X305 uses?

Eric Smith spacewar at gmail.com
Sat Nov 26 22:39:01 CST 2016

Now that I have an 8X300 (etc.) disassembler, which I've used to
disassemble the Western Digital WD1000 and WD1001 firmware, and the Zendex
ZX-203 firmware, I've become curious as to what other products used the
SMS300/8X300/8X305.  Does anyone know of any?

In the early to mid-1980s, the 8X300 was a good choice for hard disk
controllers, because all instructions took 250ns, and a single instruction
could read an I/O port or RAM location, shift and mask, and write another
I/O port or RAM location. At the time, no MOS microprocessor was even close
to that.