Macintosh Portable

Chris Hanson cmhanson at eschatologist.net
Sat Nov 26 14:57:13 CST 2016

On Nov 26, 2016, at 1:52 AM, drlegendre . <drlegendre at gmail.com> wrote:

> You're correct about the drive connector, it's one of those maddening
> proprietary things that Apple was and still is prone to doing. If I recall,
> the drive itself uses the standard SCSI interface, but the stock drive has
> a permanently attached cable with its own pinout. And I think the drive
> cable carries both data and power.

Not really proprietary, it was before tiny portable SCSI drives were really standardized, and Apple published everything so third parties could create compatible hardware.

It’s just a 34-pin connector carrying both SCSI signal and power. Details are on page 5-31 (Chapter 5: Hardware) of the Macintosh Portable Developer Note, Table 5-6: SCSI Internal Connector Pinout. It should be simple to make an adapter for a SCSI2SD or equivalent.

  -- Chris