Membership disabled due to bounces

Graham Toal gtoal at gtoal.com
Wed Nov 23 18:46:29 CST 2016

On Wed, Nov 23, 2016 at 5:54 PM, Fred Cisin <cisin at xenosoft.com> wrote:

> Gmail is only the single most reliable mail provider in the world, and
>>>>

> On Wed, 23 Nov 2016, Ian Finder wrote:
>
>> Not an expert on mailing lists, but I wonder if the fact that gmail always
>> puts COURYHOUSE into the spam folder due to AOL weirdness is the signal
>> source for the bounce?
>>

> IF the problem is caused by COURYHOUSE having an AOL address, would it be
> possible to set up a filter to maks the aol address to look like something
> else to gmail?

I haven't checked his headers lately but when this started happening some
years ago I looked into it and the cause was that he was sending through an
ISP other than AOL, and the SPF mechanism was correctly marking his mail as
effectively being a forgery, which any site that checks SPF would reject.
In the case of being received  by gmail, this did not cause a bounce but
did mark it as spam requiring a rule to be written to force it to bypass
the spam bucket. This may indeed be related to the problem other people are
having.  If your email account is with one internet vendor, don't use that
vendor's address in the From line if you're injecting it via a different
vendor.

Graham
PS SPF is evil and wrong-headed for many reasons, but that is a rant for
another forum!