DEC DELQA - seems not to work. Anyone got a spare? [SOLVED]

Ian S. King isking at uw.edu
Mon Nov 7 10:44:24 CST 2016

On Sun, Nov 6, 2016 at 6:13 PM, Joseph Zatarski <jzatar2 at illinois.edu>
wrote:

> >On 2014-10-26 3:07 PM, Toby Thain wrote:
> >>* On 21/10/14 7:38 AM, Noel Chiappa wrote:
> *>>>*      > From: Toby Thain
> *>>>>>>*      > Looking to see what the internal self-test returns as an
> error
> *>>>* code
> *>>>*      > (that can be done with console ODT, it doesn't need a
> program) is
> *>>>*      > probably the first step in diagnosing.
> *>>>*...
> *>>* OK, after powerup, the bits of the VAR register (e/w/p 2000192c) are
> *>>* D800, i.e. the test result bits VAR12:10 are 1,1,0 - meaning RAM test
> *>>* failed.
> *>
> >Hi all,
> >
> >As an update to this project, I can report that the DELQA has been
> >repaired with four new static RAM chips, and now the MicroVAX II's
> >network is fully working (including netboot).
> >
> >Credit due to Joe Zatarski (joe_z) who did a beautiful job of
> >desoldering and putting sockets in for the four RAM chips.
> >
> >--Toby
>
> Glad to have helped :)
>
> Joe Zatarski

> *>>>>>>>* d/w/p 2000192c 2000
> *>>>>* Just leaves 2000 in the VAR register, permanently.
> *>>>>* --Toby
> *>>>>>>>

I love reading stories of component-level repair.

--
Ian S. King, MSIS, MSCS, Ph.D. Candidate
The Information School <http://ischool.uw.edu>

Archivist, Voices From the Rwanda Tribunal <http://tribunalvoices.org>
Value Sensitive Design Research Lab <http://vsdesign.org>

University of Washington

There is an old Vulcan saying: "Only Nixon could go to China."