What the heck is the deal with this eBay item

Antonio Carlini a.carlini at ntlworld.com
Fri Nov 4 06:54:30 CDT 2016

On 02/11/16 00:12, Glen Slick wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 1, 2016 at 4:43 PM, Corey Cohen <AppleCorey at optonline.net> wrote:
>> https://www.ebay.com/itm/272433760795
>>
>> This Helios II has been "sold" multiple times for varying amounts and then suddenly hours later appears for sale again.  I'm done bidding on this each time it appears, because if I won, who knows what I'd receive or if the seller would cancel the auction.
>>
> "PAYPAL USERS MUST WAIT COMPLETE CLEARANCE
> (IT CAN REQUIRES ALSO 21 DAYS)"
>
> What they heck does that mean? Not a seller I would touch with a 10 foot pole.
>
> Something seems odd about this seller "scroogemcduckbonaparte" and
> their cousin "paperonebonaparte", who has positive feedback for
> selling a "HELIOS II DISK SOL 20 8 INCHES FLOPPY WITH CONTROLLER
> ALTAIR ERA IMSAI S100 BUS (#272205548861)" for $1,950.00 within the
> last 6 months. "scroogemcduckbonaparte" has positive feedback as a
> buyer from "paperonebonaparte" for several items over a year ago.

The listing seems to have vanished now. (Probably just as well).

Paperone is the Italian version of Disney's Scrooge McDuck.

paperonebonaparte also sold a PET for 350 euro and an Altair for $1136
and a C4004 microprocessor for 1297 euro.

He (or she) is obviously quite reasonable: the

" MITS Altair 8800a Lights Working! BILL GATES IMSAI 8080 - C4004 ERA PC
DISK (#271980509395)"

was up for 2000 euro but a best offer was accepted :-)

Antonio

--
Antonio Carlini
arcarlini at iee.org