Windows use in medical spaces (Re: vintage computers in active use)

Dave Wade dave.g4ugm at gmail.com
Fri May 27 18:05:02 CDT 2016

> Please can we have some specific instances of  Windows causing problems.
> Not unqualified people at home or students but real production
environments
> with qualified support on hand.
> I used every version of windows from 1 to 10.  yes XP and millennium too

It is susceptible to MalWare of all types. We had some XP embedded thin
clients that got attacked by Confiker but of course they were clean after a
re-boot

but the main reason Linux and Apple isn't attacked is because there are many
more window systems, although I read somewhere Apple devices were being
targeted because Apple users had more cash..
I see Apple has been hit by Ransom Ware...

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/mar/07/apple-targeted-by-kerange
r-ransom-malware-for-first-time

I can't see why Crypto Locker could work on ANY Linux or BSD box....

> I wrote time and mission critical food distribution related software for
the ten
> years before I retired in vb and then vb.net (oo)  I would have seen just
about
> every possible bug in windows and in developing applications under it.
>
> Lets hear what others experienced.

Sorry I know I have already said but generally very reliable. Some issues
where call centre staff on XP were allowed to surf the web as
administrators...
... conficker was a real problem

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conficker

> Rod