Windows use in medical spaces (Re: vintage computers in active use)

Dave Wade dave.g4ugm at gmail.com
Fri May 27 15:55:06 CDT 2016

> It makes me wonder how many patients have had to wait on care or didn't
get
> proper care because of an IT screwup related to Windows. I have to say
just
> _seeing_ Windows on machines in the ER made me livid. I found it
breathtaking
> they were that caviler about getting people checked in, keeping records
> straight, etc... I guess I shouldn't have visited the sausage factory, so
to speak...

What would you expect. Properly maintained, managed enterprise and locked
down Windows/7 is solid and reliable.
In the UK it is hard to use Linux in the "Public Sector" and in the UK most
Hospitals are Public Sector.
You can use Linux BUT you must have a support contract in place and run a
supported distro.
Having costed this it brings the price up way beyond that of a Windows
desktop.

> Then again, folks in hospitals probably should be more concerned with
patients
> than with their IT tools. Ugh. Still. Windows? I'd have felt better about
paper
> forms. At least they don't blue screen.

I can't remember getting a blue screen on Windows/7. I used to run a 200
server windows infrastructure.
It all down to how you manage it. Our Linux appliances were the most
unreliable servers BECAUSE we did not know
How to manage them.

> -Swift

Dave
G4UGM