vintage computers in active use

Dave G4UGM dave.g4ugm at gmail.com
Fri May 27 11:59:55 CDT 2016

For some reason Windows computers in Hospital seem especially prone to viral
infections.
When I worked in a Windows shop the usual source of nasties was down level
JAVA which was frequently needed for obsolete software..

> -Swift

As far as I know Computers have been managing missiles for a long time now.
I can see issues dating back a long time reported here:-

http://nuclearfiles.org/menu/key-issues/nuclear-weapons/issues/accidents/20-
mishaps-maybe-caused-nuclear-war.htm

I remember I was on a Honeywell course, must have been around 1980, when one
of these happened.
The performance of the machine we were using on the course was somewhat less
than sparkling, or at least our batch jobs were being held in queues for a
long time.

We joked that if the WWMCCS

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worldwide_Military_Command_and_Control_System

was running anything like as well as our GCOS systems (which were basically
the same) the US had no chance.....

... wake the President, give him terminal, he logs in ....

USER: Mr.President
Password" **********
Ready;
Launch Missiles
Thank You Mr.President, your job L1A is at position 100 in queue .atest9...
Estimated time to execution 1 Day 4 Hours....

Dave
G4UGM