vintage computers in active use

Guy Sotomayor Jr ggs at shiresoft.com
Fri May 27 11:20:32 CDT 2016

> On May 27, 2016, at 8:52 AM, Swift Griggs <swiftgriggs at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Thu, 26 May 2016, Bryan C. Everly wrote:
>> I did work in UNIX on a Series-1 in the telecom space.  It probably
>> still is in use.
>
> What kind of Unix did they run? There is almost no information on
> Wikipedia or elsewhere. I'm just curious because I've heard of PC/IX,
> IX/370, and of course I'm *very* famililar with "Ain't Unix" uhhh, I mean
> AIX. :-P I work with it nearly every day. However, I don't know squat
> about the Unix that ran on a Series-1.

At this point, I don’t remember the version that IBM was working on (but it
was an early Unix version).  It was never shipped.  At the time IBM was
developing Unix on the Series/1, it was in negotiations to *purchase* Unix
from AT&T (ie IBM would own Unix rather than AT&T).

There was a political fight within IBM and the Unix center of competency
moved from Boca Raton, FL to Austin, TX.  All of the Series/1 Unix
materials were destroyed at that point (it was a *nasty* fight).

TTFN - Guy