vintage computers in active use

Pete Turnbull pete at dunnington.plus.com
Thu May 26 15:00:21 CDT 2016

On 26/05/2016 19:03, Brent Hilpert wrote:
> All this reminds me of the systems I've missed out on:
>
> A few years ago, a high school acquaintance I chanced to meet and who
> was working in operations control at a local oil refinery told me the
> large multi-rack PDP-11 system for process control had been
> decommissioned and dumped about a year earlier. "Ya, that's too bad,
> you could have had it."

Not as long ago as that I was reacquainted with someone I first came
across dropping hints on Usenet in the late 1990s, who worked at a large
power station not far from here.  The upshot was an exploratory trip in
which we filled two large cars, then subsequently overfilled a 3-ton
truck with PDP-11 equipment and related goodies.

--
Pete