vintage computers in active use

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Thu May 26 11:48:21 CDT 2016

On Thu, 26 May 2016, Brent Hilpert wrote:
> A friend notice this in the news, I heard it mentioned on the radio this morning too:
> 	http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-36385839
> extract:
> 	The report said that the Department of Defence systems that co-ordinated
> 	intercontinental ballistic missiles, nuclear bombers and tanker support aircraft
> 	"runs on an IBM Series-1 Computer - a 1970s computing system - and uses
> 	eight-inch floppy disks".

"This system remains in use because, in short, it still works,"
Pentagon spokeswoman Lt Col Valerie Henderson told the AFP news agency.

And, THAT is why it MUST be replaced immediately by "modern" hardware
and software, to put an end to that.  Windows10 can change that.

"According to the report, the US treasury also needed to upgrade its
systems, which it said was using "assembly language code - a computer
language initially used in the 1950s and typically tied to the hardware
for which it was developed"."

And, THAT is the reasoning for replacement?
Not even an understanding of what assembly language IS.
"Nobody programs in assembly language any more, nor ever will
again" - Clancy/Harvey

"Eight-inch floppy disks date back to the early days of computer systems"

The author is unaware of the many decades of computers, including
military, prior to floppy disks.  Mag tape?  EAM (punch-cards, etc.)?