Early 360 machines (Was: Front panel switches - what did they do?)

Jon Elson elson at pico-systems.com
Wed May 25 20:09:24 CDT 2016

On 05/25/2016 02:51 PM, Chuck Guzis wrote:
> I have a related question.  All of the S/260s that I've seen had 2400
> series tape drives.  But my "green card" makes reference to 729 drives
> as well.  Does anyone recall them being installed on a S/360 system?
>
> --Chuck

Well, the early 2400 tape drives had a VERY simple
interface.  The read amps delivered raw analog signals to
the controller.  The write amps took 9 digital signals from
the controller.  There were also forward, reverse, rewind,
write gate and EOT/BOT sensors, and unit select.  VERY
simple interface at the VERY lowest possible level.

I can easily imagine the 729 series of drives may have had a
very similar interface.  So, it may be possible that these
could be interchanged fairly easily.

Jon