Early 360 machines (Was: Front panel switches - what did they do?)

jwsmobile jws at jwsss.com
Wed May 25 18:47:23 CDT 2016

On 5/25/2016 4:29 PM, Fred Cisin wrote:
> On Wed, 25 May 2016, Noel Chiappa wrote:
>> Those printers had an amazingly long life! They were first introduced
>> in 1959
>> with the 1401 computer, and, like I said, the brand spanking new
>> System 3
>> they got in ca. 1976 came with one! I wonder when IBM stopped producing
>> them?
>
> Did they discontinue the most long lasting printer that they had made
The 1403 was and is a great printer, but IBM didn't make a lot of crappy
ones.  We had a 6262 and a 3xxx (don't recall it) with a builtin channel
both of which were great printers too.  Don't forget such as the laser
engine coupled units either.  Huge messes, but could turn out amazing
volumes of printed material.