Early 360 machines (Was: Front panel switches - what did they do?)

Jon Elson elson at pico-systems.com
Wed May 25 12:06:00 CDT 2016

On 05/25/2016 12:01 PM, Noel Chiappa wrote:
>      > From: Jon Elson
>
>      > the /20 was intended for very specific uses in 360 shops, and maybe as
>      > an entry-level "foot in the door" to move totally tab card shops into
>      > the 360 family. The only /20s I ever saw were used as offline spool
>      > printers and card readers in large 360 shops.
>
> I interned at IBM Bermuda, and they had a 360/20 as their main service bureau
> machine; it had (IIRC) a card reader/punch, 4 tape drives, and a 4301
> printer. When I got there, they had just gotten in a System 3 (two
> single-platter hard drives, a 4301 printer, and I'm not sure what else) to
> replace it.

I'm guessing, maybe, that would be a 1403 printer?  There
were 1403 and 1443 printers.

The only language supported on the 360/20 was RPG.  For a
mostly tab card type of operation, you could actually do a
lot in RPG. Otherwise, you had to write in machine language
and get it assembled on another system.

Jon