VAX-11/730 and Emulex UC17 woes

Josh Dersch JoshD at LivingComputerMuseum.org
Tue May 24 18:03:16 CDT 2016

Thanks.  Glen sent me his dump and I compared with mine.  I have the same three differences:

D 000002A0 01200880   // 0100F308
D 000002BC 0014688F   // FFF4688F
D 000002C0 65B45520   // 65B45500

(commented values are the ones that differ on my machine).

This changes the code as below:

-> 298:    MOVL #80000002,@#F30808   (was: 298:    MOVL #80000002,@#20088008)
2A3:    NOP
2A4:    MTPR #1F,#12
2A7:    MOVAL 400,R1
2AE:    MOVL #200,R2
2B5:    MOVL #0,(R1)+
2B8:    SOBGTR R2,2B5
-> 2BB:    MOVL #FFF468,R5   (was 2BB:    MOVL #20001468,R5)

I suspect these values are changed "on the fly" based on the machine type punched into the SA register as the last step before the "S 80" command; in particular, the source address for the MOVL instruction at 2BB now makes more sense, corresponding to a value in the UBA register set for the UC17.

However, F30808 doesn't make sense as the destination argument address for the MOVL at 298.  This looks like a map register for an 11/750 (as documented in the UC17 manual as being at F30800/F30804) and I wondered if it should be similar to the value for the 11/730 (F26800/F26804).

So I changed the instruction at 298 to:

MOVL #80000002,@#F26808

(which corresponds to a change in the value at 2A0 to 0100F268)

On the VAX-11/730 and did an "S 80" and lo and behold, it works!

I suspect either a typo in the manual for the machine type designator word, or a revision difference between firmware and documentation.

- Josh