RSTS/E

Rod Smallwood rodsmallwood52 at btinternet.com
Fri May 20 01:47:09 CDT 2016

On 20/05/2016 05:19, Jerome H. Fine wrote:
> >Rod Smallwood wrote:
>
>> I'm not overly worried about it being on TK50 other than knowing that
>> was one of the distribution mediums.
>> So a quick rephrase of the question. I have an 11/83 system with an
>> RX50 and an RD54. How do I install RSTS on  it?
>
> Why do you want to use the PDP-11/83?  Do you want
> to run RSTS/E or just exercise the PDP-11/83 hardware?
>
> If your answer is running RSTS/E, there is much more
> convenient hardware than a PDP-11/83.
>
> If you want to exercise the PDP-11/83, the solution I
> understand is to use a hammer when you only have a nail.
>
> If you don't know how to prepare a TK50 tape that self boots
> and then does a restore of RSTS/E, then you might resort to
> using RT-11.  Backup each RT-11 partition under either
> SimH or Ersatz-11.  The restore using the RX50 drive and
> copy each RT-11 partition to the RD54 from the TK50 file
> images.
>
> Of course, you need to be able to write to a TK50 tape
> under SimH or Ersatz-11.  You also have to take care
> of block 65535 for each RT-11 partition since I don't
> know if RT-11 will backup it up.  If you need some help
> with this, I will try and figure it out as long as you test
> to determine if you can write to a TK50 tape in the first
> place.
>
> Jerome Fine

Hi Jerome
         Thanks for the answer.

1. The system is going into an exhibit. There will be an assortment of
DEC terminals attached

2. The guy who is going to look after it has years of RSTS user knowledge.

3, There are several systems available all 11/83.  All with RD54

4. They are working and boot RSX .

5.   I cant remember how to remember how to prepare a bootable RSTS
install tape (I last did the course in 1983)

6. I do have a copy of RSTS V9 and I know the version supports TK50.
Its a .tap image

7.  So its a case move the image over to my VAX  from my PC. My network
can do that.

8.  Then make the tape boot and install RSTS

9 . How do I do that?

Rod