Surplus DEC MINC

tony duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Thu May 19 09:19:37 CDT 2016

> Tony,
>     Too bad your MINC is so far from me. I would love to have the spare parts
>  and RL01s to assist in my MINC restoration.

I think shipping it is out of the question, and there are people interested who can
collect it from me.

>    I would like to collaborate with who ever gets your MINC. Some other kind
> souls on this list have helped me with copies of the Lab Subroutine Package
> software and Scientific Subroutine Package software for MINC.

I would hope whoever gets it is prepared to exchange information. There is no
software with my machine, of course.

In case anyone is worried I am keeping 2 MINCs myself. One is an RL01-based
one that I have pulled the CPU, RAM and Bootstrap cards from and hung it off
a DW11-B (Unibus-Qbus interface) on a PDP11/45 (yes, that does work!). I've not
got the 11/45 running after the house move, but it is all there and sorting it out
is just a matter of time The other MINC is a MINC-23 (PDP11/23 CPU board),
with an RX02. I am also keeping at least one of every MINC module I have
ever owned, including MNCAG (analogue preamplifier) and MNCTP
(thermocouple interface).

>    Also, anyone trying to connect to the DB9 terminal blocks for the DLV-11J
> should be aware that the pin out is NOT the common DB9 RS232 pin out. It
> takes a special DB9 to DB25 cable DEC provided or some wiring
> experimentation with an RS232 breakout box. The engineering drawings do
> document the connections however.

Strictly there's no such thing as a DB9. The connector is a DE9. It's not the
PC/AT pinout, but it wouldn't surprise me if DEC used it elsewhere. It is just
a cable from the DLV11-J, so tracing signals isn't hard. And to be honest I
feel if you are going to run actual classic hardware (as opposed to software
under emulation) you are going to have to make up cables at least.

-tony