classics I threw away or sold ... foolishly

Swift Griggs swiftgriggs at gmail.com
Thu May 19 09:25:33 CDT 2016

On Thu, 19 May 2016, Pete Turnbull wrote:
> - my first Exidy Sorcerer, with 48K, every ROM PAC and every manual I
> could buy, and a lot of mods,

Those look really cool. I remember seeing them in computer mags when I was
uhhh, 7 or 8 years old. Drooled.

> - an SGI Indy which I sold for little more than the cost of shipping,

I still have 2 Indys. One R4600/200 and one R5000/180. I also have a
Challenge S with an R4600 in it. These are easy to warehouse, but I
probably need to hoard up some Dallas clock modules for them, since they
often go bad and lose their MAC.

> - a nice VT131, a VT102, and a couple of VT220s,

Hmm, I always thought the "paper white" terminals were the neatest of the
monochrome terminal ilk, but I'm not sure if any DEC VTs were ever made
that way.

> - a big collection of SCSI and IEEE-488 cables,

Oh man, I threw away a bunch of serial and SCSI cables at one point only
to have to buy the same ones again years later. Ugh.

> OTOH, I don't really have enough space for the stuff I still do have,
> nor enough time and energy to make it all work!

Agreed. I have some dream of building a nice man-cave with individual 2-3
workstations setup at any given time for me to tinker on and a full bench
off to the side to work-on/fix stuff. However, then I wake up in suburbia
and remember how much the price per sq/ft is, now that real estate is back
in the stratosphere.

-Swift