'Inside Macintosh' books

Chris Hanson cmhanson at eschatologist.net
Wed May 18 12:39:14 CDT 2016

For the original “Inside Macintosh,” there was:

1. The prerelease looseleaf edition, sent to developers.

2. The “phone book” edition where volumes I-III were combined, sent to developers.

3. The original “Inside Macintosh” volumes I-III, and later IV and V to cover the Mac Plus and Mac SE & Mac II, with photos of Mac logic boards on the covers, sold at retail.

4. Reissues of volumes I-V with new-style covers to match the new volume VI covering System 7 technologies.

And then a couple years after that, around the time the PowerPC-based Macs were released, there was “New Inside Macintosh” where the entire series was reorganized into 25-30 volumes based on content. I don’t think any “New Inside Macintosh” books were published after 1995 or so, though new ones were written to cover new technologies.

  -- Chris