Best LCDs for retrocomputing - Was: Re: New *square* 1:1 26.5" LCD monitor 1920x1920

Eric Christopherson echristopherson at gmail.com
Tue May 17 15:05:08 CDT 2016

On Tue, May 17, 2016 at 2:58 PM, Ian Finder <ian.finder at gmail.com> wrote:

> I was under the impression it was the same as analog RGB, but for shitty
> cards that don't USE the analog-ness of the RGB standard, and just have two
> state- 0 directly to _MAX in "analog value"

Yes. It's TTL level. Since posing my question, I've gotten a tiny bit more
educated:
1. Some sites talk about e.g. arcade graphics as being "analog CGA" -- I
was acquainted with these being called "analog RGB" but never saw "analog"
and "CGA" together before.
2. There are computers knocking about with actual digital RGB signals, like
the BBC Micro B (IIRC). What I forgot to make explicit in my question was
that I was asking about RGBI (+intensity), which AIUI is the same as CGA.

Now, I'm confused about point 1: did actual PCs with CGA have both digital
(TTL) and analog signaling?

--
        Eric Christopherson