DEC L2001 processor needed for stupid endeavor

Josh Dersch derschjo at gmail.com
Mon May 16 03:49:04 CDT 2016

Hi all --

A year or so ago I picked up a VAXStation 3520 (a dual-processor machine),
which I eventually upgraded to a 3540 (quad processor).  Then I heard rumor
it was possible to get it up to 6 processors, a configuration that was
never produced or supported by DEC.  I can confirm that 6 processors do
work properly.  As do 8 processors, for that matter...

I believe that if I remove the graphics option, I can get it up to 10
processors, at which point I'm out of MBUS slots, thus hitting the maximum
possible.  I just kinda want to see it work.  I'm still looking for
something "useful" to do with 10 processors on VMS; it's a shame there was
never a distributed.net client for VAX VMS :).

I'm having trouble tracking down one more L2001 processor board.  Anyone
have one lying around they'd like to donate to a very stupid cause?

Thanks,
Josh

(here's the output from the VAX 3580's startup with 8 processors:

KA60 V1.2
F..E..D..C..B..A..9..8..7..6..5..4..3..2..1..0
 5   01010004  L2003    4  ?  V1.3
1 SSC     00000001
2 DZ      00031200   ?
3 NI      19210770   ?