beige rant (was Re: IBM 5150 with red case on ebay)

Dave Wade dave.g4ugm at gmail.com
Sat May 14 03:10:45 CDT 2016

Guzis
<cctalk at classiccmp.org>
> Subject: Re: beige rant (was Re: IBM 5150 with red case on ebay)
>
> For the S/360 systems, there was a wide choice of colors.  In fact, most
of the
> S/360s I saw initially were that orangish-red.  I've heard it referred to
as
> "International Orange" in accordance with Federal Specification 595:

Most other IBM kit came in a range of colors, and I was told by an IBMer
that the salesman should have a chain of color samples but I have never seen
one.
As I recently said in a previous E-Mail many local councils avoid "Blue" as
it has political implications.
Normally certain colors were standard, and choosing others could result in
longer delivery times...

> http://www.fed-std-595.com/FS-595-Paint-Spec.html
>
> In the early 1970s, CDC went from a beige and gray motif to blue glass and
> fake woodgrain.
>
> NCR, Cray and Honeywell similarly had brightly-colored systems.
>

> Office interiors in the 1980s were often the bright primary upholstery,
with
> exposed structure and plumbing being painted similarly bright colors.  It
was a
> bit much, reminiscent of the Pompidou centre in Paris.
>
> Styles change.  I don't think much of deep blue as a color scheme.
>
> --Chuck

Dave