beige rant (was Re: IBM 5150 with red case on ebay)

Swift Griggs swiftgriggs at gmail.com
Sat May 14 00:27:44 CDT 2016

On Sat, 14 May 2016, Christian Gauger-Cosgrove wrote:
> Blue? That's so pass?! Right now the popularity is to go full *RAINBOW!*
> with the RGB LEDs...

It's wrong and a crime against nature. I hate that kind of flea market
bait.

> Though yeah, intense blue is getting just a bit annoying; though I admit
> I'd love to see a DECdatasystem-570 version of the PDP-11/70 panel (i.e.
> "the blue one") with blue LEDs instead of the standard red; or bright
> white. If only because those colours would fit.

They would, and I agree that it'd be neat-looking to the right observer.
It's interesting to compare the modern blinkenlights in datacenters to the
flippers and diagnostic LEDs, component LEDs, and even SGI's front panel
CPU graphs. My favorite era of "really cool display tech" was FL displays
that were really popular in the late 70's and all of the 80's. Old
spectrum analyzers and things like that could be very classy and slick
looking (even today). Then there's vue-meters. Folks, we need more excuses
to add them everywhere... metal ones with beautiful backlight displays
etc.. Power is a good enough excuse. We need to monitor that, right?

-Swift