beige rant (was Re: IBM 5150 with red case on ebay)

Lyndon Nerenberg lyndon at orthanc.ca
Fri May 13 21:49:30 CDT 2016

> On May 13, 2016, at 7:44 PM, Fred Cisin <cisin at xenosoft.com> wrote:
>
> "undercut"??!?
> I seriously doubt that the B&H "Black Apple" was cheaper.  But, it had B&H's credibility backing it up for skeptical school boards, who bought tons of B&H AV equipment, but didn't know what a "personal computer" was.
>
>> I do recall now the local elementary & jr. high schools gobbled them up. (The B&H variant.)
>
> I knew a few teachers who got B&H Black Apples into the classroom, and THEN were able to get the school board to let them buy Apples, because they were cheaper, "just as good", and "completely compatible!" with the B&H.

Maybe the outfit I was working for was lowballing the B&H price, but we definitely had the price advantage over all the Apple dealers.

Now part of that might have been because we were the only Apple(-ish) dealer in Ft. McMurray AB, and the only alternatives were the *very* greedy Apple dealers in Edmonton (a five+ hour drive south).