11/83 RQDX3 RD-53 Jumpers

Jerome H. Fine jhfinedp3k at compsys.to
Fri May 13 19:21:38 CDT 2016

 >Rod Smallwood wrote:

> Hi
>
>       Does anybody know the jumper settings on a RD-53 on an 11/83
> with an RQDX3 controller and an RX50

I will cover just the two most usual hardware configurations:

(a)  BA23 box    - 1st RD53 is DS3, 2nd RD53 is DS4  (a 6 button
                             front panel is required or you can build
your own)
                          -  never had to change anything on the RX50
                             when ONLY a single dual RX50 is used
(b)  BA123 box -  1st RD53 is DS3, 2nd RD53 is DS3  (they are
                             the SAME and special BA123  READ  ONLY
                             switches are required)
                          -  never had to change anything on the RX50
                             when ONLY a single dual RX50 is used

I set up a MINC system with an RD53 once - don't ask!  The jumper
was DS3.

By the way, the RD53 is just a Micropolis 1335 (if I remember correctly)
with R7 set as a zero ohm resistor so the RQDX2 and RQDX3 recognize
the extra circuit.

The above jumpers apply to all RD51, RD51, RD53 and RD54 drives
with the RQDX1, RQDX2 and RQDX3 controllers.  The RD53 can't
be used with the RQDX1 and the RD54 requires the RQDX3.  With
the BA123 box, there is a special distribution panel (13th slot) for the
hard drives and the floppies.

If you don't have enough information, please ask.

All of the above is from memory - there may be some mistakes!

Did this help?

If you make the mistake of having both RD5n drives as DS3 with the
BA23 box when the drives are not  WRITE  PROTECTED, you
will destroy the Low Level Format.  I find it is impossible to forget
that situation - you only need to do it ONCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jerome Fine