Hex file formats (Was: PDP11 M9301-Yx ROM dumps)

Peter Coghlan cctalk at beyondthepale.ie
Fri May 13 04:02:59 CDT 2016

Pete Turnbull wrote:
> On 12/05/2016 22:17, Noel Chiappa wrote:
> >     > From: Mattis Lind
>
> >     > You don't have a dump of the PROMs in Intel HEX?
> >
> > No, but I do have a un-annotated dump in octal. Can you point me at a
> > description of Intel HEX format, so I can whip up a converter program? (Which
> > will also take an array of PDP-11 words, and split it up into the 4 different
> > ROM chips, since each word is spread across all 4 chips.) I already have a
> > program to read my octal dump things, so I'll just have to tweak that a bit.
>
> Take a look at http://www.dunnington.info/public/IntelHEX
> There's a description and also some code you could adapt.

Does anyone recognise this hex file format from anywhere?

#00002110F01140007D6C62B70608&2F
#000CED52300119&4A
#00113FCB1287ED6A87ED6A10F076&E4
$

As far as I can tell, the first four hex digits is a 16 bit address,
followed by up to 48 hex digit pairs of data and the hex digit pair
after & is a checksum.  The $ appears to be an end of file marker.

It came from a Z80 cross assembler which ran on VAX/VMS.  Searching
for information about it has turned up very little except for a
reference on the DECUS website to:

V00250     UCAMS: Universal Cross-Assembler for Microprocessors
	   Version: February 1987

however, I don't think this is it.

Does anyone have a better description of the file format or
anything that might have produced it?

Regards,
Peter Coghlan