3D Printing cases and SGI "skins"

Mike Barnes michael.roy.barnes at gmail.com
Wed May 11 18:25:35 CDT 2016

On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 5:10 PM, Swift Griggs  wrote:
> Has anyone used a 3D printer to make a case for their old machine ? I've
> started drafting an SGI Indy "skin" in Sketch, but it's just a box right
> now, nothing cool.

Not an actual old machine, but I did a mini-blinkenlights replica of an
HP-2100 system that has an Odroid-C1 in one of the boxes and uses simH to
emulate HP Access (see https://www.flickr.com/photos/mikebikes/22213398140).
Each box was bigger than my printer (Makerbot Rep2), so had to be built in
pieces and assembled using thermoplastic inserts. There's also a black 3d
printed light tunnel inside to keep the lights from leaking to the adjacent
lights.

This design was done using OpenSCAD (http://www.openscad.org). For almost
all of my designs these days, I use Onshape (https://cad.onshape.com). Both
have their uses. Onshape has a learning curve, but is extremely powerful.
Mike