Bags for RK05 disk cartridges

Swift Griggs swiftgriggs at gmail.com
Wed May 11 17:50:08 CDT 2016

On Wed, 11 May 2016, Jack Rubin wrote:
> Ideally, I'd like to find Ziploc-style poly bags like the DEC originals
> with the warning about dirt on the heads (the famous hair/head picture).

I'm guessing with all the DEC gurus on the list you'll find what you are
after. However, I can tell you that I've been able to screen print on
plastic very effectively in the past. I do screen printing mainly for
shirts and other fabric/clothing items. However, I've also used the
technique to print on glass etc...

I've used PVC inks to print on silicon and plastic before. However, there
is a (big) caveat. When you go to cure the ink, you can't wuss-out on the
high temp bake (your ink will tell you how hot and for how long). This is
enough that it'd melt most plastic, so you need to use heat resistant
bags. They are available in lots of different sizes and you can also the
edge of a vacuum sealer, or a red-hot blade to create your own sizes by
annealing the edges together. Then you screen print on top of that.

It'd cost you between $100-$200 bucks to get setup with a pre-stretched
screen, photoresist, a bit of ink, a bright light, and a curing/heat wand.
So, it's not something I'd recommend just to print the bags. However, once
you have the gear, you can find a ton of other places to use it should you
have as many hobbies as I do. You can wash out the photoresist and re-use
the screen infinitely. You can transfer the design directly to the screen
simply by printing a transparent negative, overlaying it on the screen
painted with resist, and exposing it.

-Swift