Crippled connectivity [was Re: FidoNet ....show]

Tomasz Rola rtomek at ceti.pl
Thu May 5 21:25:53 CDT 2016

On Wed, May 04, 2016 at 09:21:18PM -0400, Mouse wrote:
[...]
> Sure you can tunnel; you just have to initiate the tunnel connection
> from the inside.  I too have a host (at work) that's behind double NAT;
[...]
> Of course, this needs a friendly host on the outside.  In my case, I
> find that cost well worth paying....

Sure, with a friendly frontend one can do plenty. I am actually doing
such tunnel on a daily basis, just am not charming enough to have
custom built server demon installed in my name :-) (and no port
forwarding either).

But I think there is no particular need for me to perform such
sophisticated tricks, like maybe editing ssh to concoct a demon
forwarding traffic to-fro my home server. It is of course fine thing
to do, but also time consuming a bit. And I think in maybe not very
long time IPv6 will be very hard to ignore by ISPs like mine. Right
now, they are selling from their IPv4 pool, while they can. Later,
either they will switch to giving real IPv6 addresses by default, or
maybe someone else will.

In the meantime, I may have fun with other stuff. There is more than I
can play with. Just one I try to find time for: PDP8 assembler - I
know it is so small it could probably become my first memorized
assembler ever, including octal patterns, and yet I have other things
to do that are a bit more important. Why would I fight a problem that
is doomed to go away if I wait just a little bit more?

Just thinking out loud. But thanks for suggestions, always welcomed.

--
Regards,
Tomasz Rola