FidoNet ....show [was: History [was Re: strangest systems I've sent email...

Tomasz Rola rtomek at ceti.pl
Wed May 4 16:47:40 CDT 2016

On Wed, May 04, 2016 at 06:09:00AM -0700, geneb wrote:
> On Wed, 4 May 2016, Tomasz Rola wrote:
>
> >Now I even started to think, very shyly, how nice would it have been
[...]
> >can sell me "business" service. Ugh. This is tempting but I am
> >strong. :-)
> >
> There are services like http://www.noip.com/free where you can get a
> DNS entry for dynamically changing IP addresses.  This way you can
> run a BBS without having to buy a business class account.

Yeah... unless I am behind a NAT - and I believe I am behind at least
two, of which at least one is out of my control, hence no making holes
(or tunnels). So if I wanted to host it at home, I would have to buy
business account. And build me some "infrastructure". At the moment,
time is a limited resource and I have to spent it wisely.

> You could even bring up an AWS instance for about $5 a month, which
> is great for doing BBS work. :)

Hehe, trying to lure me? See, maybe I would went for it when world and
I were a bit younger. Nowadays... I believe a so called "provider" is
responsible for what he provides, even if he did not do anything
himself. So I would have to be on a permament watch, catching
probabilistic but maybe just imagined guys who would like to pee into
my morning tea for fun or (their own) profit. Or rather, please
themselves without any regard for my morning tea or me.

Looking from such angle, I guess it is much easier to do just small
personal type of a project, read-only static pages etc. We will see. A
project or two later, few unread books later, we will see. Well I am
not sure what we will see, but just seeing is great thing to do, too
:-).

--
Regards,
Tomasz Rola