Ideas for running a VB4 application on modern hardware?

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Wed May 4 07:10:00 CDT 2016

On 3 May 2016 at 19:16, Mike Whalen <mikew at thecomputervalet.com> wrote:
> Something I didn’t say explicitly that has caused some confusion is the
> following:
>
> We are an ESX 5.5 environment. None of our servers are physical, save for
> the ESX server. Also, when I said “bare-metal” earlier, what I really meant
> was that the remote site runs ESX and will bring up our VMs.

Aww jeez. So when you said "bare metal" you actually meant "NOT bare metal"?

> So, when I say that I may need to spool up a VM to run this software, I
> really mean another VM inside ESX.

A separate VM on the host machine with XP and the app should be
entirely doable. I strongly suggest enabling the ePosReady 2009
security tweak, though:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/05/26/german_tinkerer_gets_around_xpocalypse/

Getting an XPMode VM into it will be tricky, though. A reinstall might
be necessary.

> Or I may put Virtual Box w/ XP or Windows 98 on the 2012 VM.

That would be significantly inefficient and I would not recommend it myself.