Ideas for running a VB4 application on modern hardware?

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Wed May 4 07:05:14 CDT 2016

On 3 May 2016 at 16:55, Chuck Guzis <cclist at sydex.com> wrote:
> I'll retrench and restate that in terms of "it depends". If your CPU
> doesn't support Hardware Virtualization Mode, you're out of luck:
>
> http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/5460/our-look-at-xp-mode-in-windows-7/

16-bit support and hardware virtualisation extensions are 2 totally
separate and orthogonal issues.

Secondly, desktop hypervisors such as VirtualBox and VMware can do
software trapping of Ring 0 instructions on systems lacking hardware
virtualisation extensions, so they will still work and the method I
suggest will still function. I'd expect that performance would drop
15% or so, though.

I suspect that 16-bit code compatibility will remain in x86-64 until
the end of its days, but I could be wrong...