Ideas for running a VB4 application on modern hardware?

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Wed May 4 07:02:43 CDT 2016

On 3 May 2016 at 16:20, geneb <geneb at deltasoft.com> wrote:
> The issue is that with 64 bit versions of windows, the 16 bit thunking layer
> isn't present.  The simplest way to do this is to grab VMWare Player (free
> download) and then create a Win98 VM.  Google can point to a number of
> downloadable, ready-to-run Win98SE VMs.

VMware Player is freeware, not FOSS, and there might be licensing issues.

VirtualBox is FOSS apart from the extensions pack. That is one reason
that I recommended it.

Secondly, I have experimentally tried Windows 3, 95, 98, ME, NT 3, NT
4, W2K, XP, Vista, 7, 8 & 10 under VirtualBox. Including concurrently.

I recommended XP for multiple reasons:

[a] It is the oldest and earliest version of Windows for which
VirtualBox Guest Additions are available. This allows host/guest
integration, file sharing, a shared clipboard, seamless mode, etc.
Otherwise it is very difficult to get data in or out of the VM.

[b] Using the ePosReady 2009 registry hack, security patches are still
available, and it will run recent browsers.

[c] Using the XP Mode VM, which is freely downloadable from MS, you do
not need to install and customise it.