center tapped power transformer help needed

John Robertson jrr at flippers.com
Wed May 4 02:06:36 CDT 2016

On 05/03/2016 8:51 PM, Jim Brain wrote:
> On 5/3/2016 10:48 PM, Chuck Guzis wrote:
>> On 05/03/2016 08:08 PM, Jim Brain wrote:
>> 60 Hz?  Maybe you could give the guys at Prem Magnetics a call. They're
>> always sending emails offering to do custom work.
>>
>> http://www.premmagnetics.com/
> Yep, 50/60Hz.  I will check them out.
>
> Also, Ian, thanks for the link.  I'll check them out as well.  I will
> admit, though, those Xformers looks huge in the brochure, and I always
> thought those little 120->6.3V 6VA transformers I used to find in
> cannibalized tape recorders and such were so much smaller.
>
> Jim

Nothing stopping you from using two smaller transformers - 120 primary
to some secondary voltage, say 24VAC, then a second transformer with a
240V CT primary that also has a 24VAC secondary. Assuming you get the VA
figured out correctly these should work and be much smaller than a
single 240CT to 120VAC transformer.

Hammond Manufacturing makes a wide range of superior quality
transformers that is widely used by the tube and regular electronics folk.

https://www.hammfg.com/electronics/transformers/power/186-187

I think you will find this series helpful, note the VA rating and get
yourself one of the 187C20 and a 186C20 - or for a bit extra power and
to allow for losses, get the 187D20 and 186D20 - wire the 24VAC
secondaries together (ignoring the centre tap on the secondaries of
course). Farily compact.

Hammond also will wind you a single or a thousand transformers...I like
looking at their complete line, including a replacement transformer for
the early 1920s RCA Radiola III battery radio.

https://www.hammfg.com/electronics/transformers/classic/118944

Amazing range!

https://www.hammfg.com/electronics/transformers/classic/zone

John :-#)#