Titlers, Switchers, Paintboxes, Paint Apps and Old Broadcast Equipment

Swift Griggs swiftgriggs at gmail.com
Tue May 3 16:19:50 CDT 2016

On Tue, 3 May 2016, Ethan Dicks wrote:
> ISTR the Toaster Flyer had 3 SCSI channels, one for A, one for B, and
> one for the output stream once you were done with doing the
> layout/compositing, but I wasn't a Toaster user, so I could be wrong
> too.

Interesting. That makes sense since you'd have a discrete channel for
everything you needed for a two-source compositing operation like a roll.

I've used my SGI's a lot for simple video editing, but I never got into
anything cool like a Toaster or an Avid rig. I know there are a lot of
hardware options for doing video on SGI's (internal video, Sirius video,
Galileo video, and the dmedia bundle for newer systems). There are
applications like Alias Composer, Autodesk Flame, Flint/Effect, Avid
Illusion, Jaleo, Matador, Piranha Cinema HD, Adobe Premier, and Shake.
However, I haven't been able to get my hands on more than half that stuff
because of how expensive it is. Plus, just about all of it was LMF
nodelocked. So, you can't even buy a used copy.

-Swift