Rolm Computers: 1602, 1602A, 1602B, 1666, MSExx (was Data General Nova Star Trek)

Erik Baigar erik at baigar.de
Tue May 3 10:45:48 CDT 2016

Hi Chris,

thanks for the additional explanations.

> in the hardware lab, 99.999% of ARTS/32 (and all of the Marvin)
> development took place on commercial DG hardware -- MV/8000s for
> ARTS/32, MV/10000s for Marvin (with MV/4000s used as target machines).

OK, that is helpful information - Stephen Merrony in the UK is
taking care of the MV series hardware/software/documentation and
he has some manuals on his page which enlightened me regarding
MV/Hawk32 instructions and usage:

    http://www.stephenmerrony.co.uk/dg/doku.php

> It's funny that you mention the MSE14; it was the other punch done by
> ROLM, basically a S140 stuffed into a 1/2 ATR chassis.

What I have got is even smaller - called MSE14/Micro, it is 1/4 ATR
with a CPU on only two cards thightly packed together back-to-back
to ensure short connections and each full with discrete chips (AMD ALU,
sequencer, 32kW RAM and memory map; photographs show both sides of
the heavy CPU sandwich) -

   http://www.baigar.de/TornadoComputerUnit/MSE14-CPU-Arithmetics-Memory.jpg
   http://www.baigar.de/TornadoComputerUnit/MSE14-CPU-Microcode-Integer.jpg

it even has got a hardware multiplier doing 16*16->32 in one processor
cycle - so quite fast for those days. With the >20MHz, these are
running at, I can imagine that the "full size" MSE14 may have had
timing problems with the CPU distributed to several cards (and
many plugs for the signals have to pass).

> "Eagle" was DG's name for the MV architecture; ROLM's "Hawk" was a play
> on "Eagle" ;)

Indeed -  ;-)

>                                    which explains why we're
> only now in the process of changing out the 1970's 370-derived computers
> in the E-3.

Hmm, I am not sure if this is a positive development. Special care
has to be taken to make the software robust and independent of
access to the internet. One does not want to run into trouble with
viruses etc. in such a context  ;-)

> In the case of the Hawk this was known
> internally as the "one second architectural verification", but running
> on the simulator it took approximately forever to finish,

Very funny - and understandable. Even in case of the MSE14 this BITE
implemtend in microcode takes several seconds and it is easy to
understand that it must have required a looooong time in the 1990ties
if simulated.

> EventDetect (tm, no less) was basically a
> PN diode that would conduct in the presence of radiation events and
> non-destructively crowbar the power supply, after which the machine
> would execute a normal power-fail auto-restart (the joys of core).

Hmm - here I am not sure. I just discovered, that I am proud owner
of PCBs called "Event Detect" with part number 7100A - so they really
existed, at least if mine are the right ones; They are IO boards
and therefore I doubt they short the power supply. At some time in
the future I will have a closer look to see what is on them.

[snip]

> > (Access Protection Module or Mode or whatever (?)). This option is
> > not listed in the standard IO options and to my knowledge is a very
> > early form (dated before 1974) of such a feature  ;-)
>
> Way before my time.  I assiduously avoided all contact with the 16XX
> stuff,

;-)  I think it is worth starting a separate thread here on the question
which early systems had a facility for memory and IO protection
facility. I still think, that 1975 is quite early for a Minicomputer
architecture.

> Toshiba America Electronic Components.  We did the MIPS-derived core in
> the CPU2 chip of the Sony PS/2 -- the so-called "Emotion Engine".

From all your comments I am quite sure, that you had a very
interesting business life so far - congratulations!

     Many thanks again and best regards,

        Erik.