Code listings for the I4004 or I4040

Chris Elmquist chrise at pobox.com
Thu Mar 17 16:15:54 CDT 2016

On Thursday (03/17/2016 at 10:04AM -0500), Kyle Owen wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 17, 2016 at 1:43 AM, Eric Smith <spacewar at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Unfortunately I do not, but I've recently become interested in such
> > things, as I have received from a friend's estate an old board from an
> > embedded system (possibly a cash register) which has a 4040 CPU.
> > Photos here:
> >
> >     https://www.flickr.com/photos/22368471@N04/sets/72157665878868081/
>

> Wow, an engineering sample 4040. Very nice. Highly sought after by those
> CPU collectors out there. You should be abel to build a nice system from
> that. No telling what those hybrid packs did. Can't say I've come across
> many 4004/4040 designs with such devices.

I too have an engineering sample i4040 from 1975 (7504 date code).
I found it in the attic of the place I worked while in high school
in 1979.  I saved it along with a second non-ES device all these years.

Recently, I got the bug to see if either of these parts were still good
and so I bought one of these,

http://www.cpushack.com/mcs-4-test-boards-for-sale/

and sure enough, both 4040s are still good and run just fine on this
test board.

So count me in for collecting and sharing 4004/4040 code and simple
system designs.  This test board is a pretty simple design but there's
still something fun about hand wiring a board, writing a little monitor
and bringing it up to talk to a teletype ;-)

Chris
--
Chris Elmquist NØJCF