Mainframe floating point math implementation.

Lawrence Wilkinson ljw-cctech at ljw.me.uk
Sun Mar 13 17:16:00 CDT 2016

I haven't gone through your code in great detail. In particular I'm
not sure what your rounding algorithm is (towards zero, round to
nearest, etc.) I don't see what you're using the guard bit for, I
would expect it to be appended to the mantissa prior to addition
and rounding. Whether that's significant would depend on how you
expect the rounding to work.

Two suggestions (which you may well have tried):

1. Try an extra guard bit.

2. Convert to sign+magnitude so you don't have to worry about negative
mantissas (i.e. negate a negative mantissa before shifting and back
again after alignment).

Lawrence