VMS 4.4 source code microfiche

Antonio Carlini a.carlini at ntlworld.com
Sat Mar 12 10:11:37 CST 2016

On 12/03/16 16:04, js at cimmeri.com wrote:

> Can that scanner produce anything other than massive .png files?

I wonder whether it can do B&W G4 encoded at something like 600dpi. That
should
cut the size down a bit and produce something that perhaps could then be
OCRd.

My recollection is that each page of fiche is something like 13x30
panels, so 300-400
images. At current size that would be 1GiB-ish per sheet of fiche. A
release must be in
the region of 400 sheets or more (I'm guessing, I've not counted mine
...) so 0.5TiB
per release.

It's probably worth experimenting a little, assuming the scanner has
suitable knobs that
can be twiddled...

Antonio

--