Which RT-11 for an 11/03

Pete Turnbull pete at dunnington.plus.com
Thu Mar 10 15:03:04 CST 2016

On 10/03/2016 20:08, Paul Koning wrote:

>> On Mar 10, 2016, at 2:54 PM, Pete Turnbull
>> <pete at dunnington.plus.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 10/03/2016 19:28, Richard Cini wrote:
>>> I feel I'm close but I'm missing something. I may try 5.3
>>> instead.
>>
>> I've got various RX01, RX02, RL01 and RL02 disks with RT-11 v2, 4.0
>> and 5.2, 5.3, 5.4 and 5.7 and run them on real hardware.  It's a
>> long time since I've run v2, but the rest all run on my 11/73 as
>> far as I remember.  It may depend on the exact config (SYSGEN) but
>> it certainly won't work unless you have exactly the right boot
>> block on the media.
>
> V2 doesn't have sysgen.  But yes, the boot block is device specific
> (at least in the early versions, I don't have experience with the
> later ones).  You can use PIP to write a boot block of your
> choosing.

I know v2 doesn't have SYSGEN but IIRC you still need to need to have
things set up right, like the driver files.  I haven't used V3 (I have
some RX01 flopppies with that and MuBASIC) in several decades so I can't
remember if that was when it changed.  But for all versions you need to
set up the correct boot block for the specific boot device.  4.0 is so
straightforward I'm surprised if it won't run on Rich's H11 - 4.0 is
contemporary with the LSI-11 and 11/03 and although the other cards are
different I thought the H11 used a standard DEC LSI-11 processor.

Maybe something vital isn't at the expected address?   Or there's an
unexpected interrupt or something?  What exactly does it do (or was it
doing) when it barfs and how far does it get?

--
Pete